The records of Warland as a community under that name date back to the 17th Century, although evidence of a settlement on the site goes back to The Stone Age. At Warland’s industrial peak in 1841, with a population of twenty-three, it was home to Warland Quarry and a water-fed cotton mill, both of which provided employment for members of the Hamlet’s population.
These industries were supported by Warland’s geography. Warland is situated on the Yorkshire / Lancashire border divided by the Waslden Water, known locally as the River Calder and sits on the summit of the canal network in the United Kingdom.
Warland’s population as of the 2011 census is down to just thirteen. At its centre is Warland Farm, now owned by David Warland who changed his name from Templeman after moving to Warland in 2011. Once the farm would house, feed, and create socialisation within the hamlet, an idea that is now being revived.
Since moving to the hamlet, David Warland has started to remove modern aspects of the farms design, and converting the Victorian barns to modern use as a bunkhouse for local walkers, a carpenter’s joinery and a fully stocked blacksmith’s forge.
This series studies the people of Warland and the impact from Warland Farm on the local community.
‘Warland’ is a link to a personal heritage, and an ongoing project.